In the past 2 years, I’ve developed an addiction to audio books and podcasts. This is both good and bad. It’s good because I do more housework and walk a lot more when I am listening to a great book or my favorite podcasts. It also makes long drives much more tolerable. I live 5 hours or more from most of my family, and the drive flies by when I am listening to something good.
However, since I can get wrapped up in a book and neglect everything else, it can be a bad thing. My kids have accused me of ignoring them more than once. But, that also happens with print books, so I still believe audiobooks and podcasts are 2 of the best things ever. Almost as good as coffee.
I listen to a wide variety of podcasts, but a majority of them are book related. Surprise! Here are my 6 favorite book-related podcasts.
- LitUp: LitUp is hosted by Angela Ledgerwood. Born and raised in Australia, Ledgerwood is a former editor for Cosmopolitan magazine and currently lives in Brooklyn, NY. Each week she interviews a different author with a newly released or upcoming book. I always enjoy this show because Ledgerwood asks thoughtful and thought-provoking questions, and it is clear she loves books and reading. She interviews a diverse range of authors and books. Some of my favorites include Nicole Dennis-Benn, Lindy West, Alexander Chee, Yaa Gyasi, Kate Tempest, and Sunil Yapa.
- Get Booked: This podcast originally began as a bi-weekly show. It proved so popular, they quickly changed to a weekly format. Book Riot staff members Amanda Nelson and Jenn Northington provide personalized book recommendations. Listeners write in with requests such as what books to get for their reluctant-to-read children, what to read to prepare for a trip to Tuscany, suggestions for diverse reading, or what to read to fill the void left after finishing the Hunger Games. This podcast has caused my TBR to grow exponentially. I am amazed how they always have recommendations that are totally new to me.
- All the Books: Also hosted by Book Riot staff, this podcast is always a ton of fun. Liberty Hardy and Rebecca Schinsky discuss their favorite new releases each week. Their enthusiasm for reading is infectious, and I usually end up with 1 or 2 new books after listening to their show. Liberty is my hero….I don’t know anyone who reads as much as her.
- Book Riot The Podcast: Rebecca Schinsky also hosts this podcast along with Jeff O’Neal. They discuss weekly news about books, reading, and the literary world. Always thought-provoking, always interesting.
- Smart Podcast, Trashy Books: This is the podcast for the Smart Bitches, Trashy Books website. Hosted by Sarah Wendell, this weekly show centers around romance books of all types. She interviews “authors, readers, reviewers, bloggers, publishing professionals, editors, librarians”. I am not afraid to confess I love Regency/Georgian, Victorian, and Edwardian romances…especially those with strong women, sexy men, and witty banter. Often funny, sometimes serious, this podcast is always engaging.
- Overdue: Each week Andrew Cunningham and Craig Getting review “books you’ve been meaning to read”. They each alternate reading a classic or well-known book and explaining it to each other. Their selection is extremely diverse. Books have included Eleanor & Park, Jane Eyre, Fifty Shades of Gray, Black Beauty, It, and The Hobbit. These two friends have a lot of fun reading, and always make me laugh. I look forward to listening every week.
So those are my favorite bookish podcasts. What are you favorites??